128MB Compact Flash cards

5 replies [Last post]
g3vbl

With 128MB Compact Flash cards available for $99 from Stateside (after $15 rebate)
http://www.kingston.com/dreams/

does anyone know of a source of reasonably priced CF cards in U.K.? I can get a U.S. friend to buy for me and ship, but I'd prefer to buy in U.K. if the price is reasonable.

Chris

peter millard

Scan computers (scan.co.uk) often have good deals in their "today only" section; last time I looked they were doing very keen prices on 128Mb CF and 340Mb microdrives.

I've bought bits and pieces direct from the US before, and by the time you factor in the shipping costs, duty, VAT, brokering charges (if the carrier has to front the duty costs) etc... it's not much of a saving - and any warranty issues have to be dealt with from the US, unless there's a global warranty with local representation.

Admittedly, you don't always get charged the duty & VAT, but it seems to be completely arbitrary wether you do or not - luck of the draw, really.

I guess you pays your money & makes your choice...

Hope this helps.

------------------
Peter Millard
petermillard.com

Peter Millard
www.petermillard.com

g3vbl

Many thanks for your comments. Unfortunately I would not touch Scan with a barge pole! Indeed I intend to start legal proceedings against them in the next couple of days. They have a total lack of concern for customers; their 'after sales' service is a joke; they do not reply to e-mails or even to recorded delivery letters to Shelley Raja their MD. You will understand that, in the light of my experiences with them, I would not purchase anything there again.

Sorry about that, but I feel very strongly about the way they treat customers. Does anyone know of a website/message board devoted to this sort of thing?

Chris

Charles

You could try www.internetcameradirect.co.uk
used them before,service spot on.128mb card £126, also www.digitaldepot.co.uk. received praise in a earlier post
Regards
Charles

------------------

[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 12 May 2001).]

Regards
Charles
avsvideo.co.uk

peter millard

quote:
Many thanks for your comments. Unfortunately I would not touch Scan with a barge pole! Indeed I intend to start legal proceedings against them in the next couple of days...

Sorry to hear that. I've bought from them many times recently without any issues. I've always thought that the true test of a company is to see how they handle things if they do go wrong, and it sounds like Scan have failed that test with you.

FWIW, I've also purchased mail-order from www.digitaldepot.co.uk and have been very happy with their service - I can personally vouch for the no quibble exchange policy they offer!

Best of luck with the legal proceedings - do let us know how you get on.

Best.

------------------
Peter Millard
petermillard.com

Peter Millard
www.petermillard.com

g3vbl

I see that DigitalDepot, from whom I have had excellent service when I purchased a QV3000, have reduced the price of their 128MB Compact Flash card to £99.90, which is no worse than pounds for dollars!

InternetCamerasDirect offer an first class printing service using Fijucolor Crystal Archive paper and this has finally convinced me that it is unlikley that I shall buy a replacement (film) for my EOS.

I commenced proceedings against Scan today; the supporting paperwork ran to 18 pages of A4. An enormous amount of effort and trouble for £100 but I do not intend to let them get away with it. An internet search shows that I am not the only one.....
www.romulus2.com/vbpro/scan/entries.html

Thanks for the advice.

Chris